NAF has worked since 1977 to ensure that women, health care professionals, and policymakers have access to factual information about abortion. NAF has created a series of carefully researched fact sheets that cover topics related to abortion and abortion care.
What Is Medical Abortion?
- Information about early abortion using the medication mifepristone (also known as RU-486)
Safety of Abortion
- Statistics on the safety of legal abortion; complications that can occur and how to prevent them
Abortion after 12 Weeks
- Discussion of the compelling reasons that may cause women to have a later abortion
First-Trimester Abortion: A Comparison of Procedures
- A table comparing two types of medical abortion with vacuum aspiration abortion
Facts About Mifepristone (RU-486)
- Facts about the medication approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for early medical abortion
Abortion and Breast Cancer
- Discussion of research findings concluding that abortion does not cause an increased risk of breast cancer
- Emotions women may feel following abortion, and conclusions of medical authorities that "post-abortion syndrome" does not exist
Women Who Have Abortions - Statistical highlights about the incidence of abortion in the U.S. and Canada
Economics of Abortion
- The costs of abortion and of laws limiting access to abortion
Access to Abortion
- Facts about women's declining access to abortion in the U.S. and causes of the decline
Crisis Pregnancy Centers
- Information about how CPCs have deceived, harassed and misled women
Teenage Women, Abortion, and the Law
- Teenage pregnancy, abortion, and restrictive laws directed at young women
Public Funding for Abortion: Medicaid and the Hyde Amendment
- Facts about the Hyde Amendment, a provision that restricts low-income women's access to abortion
Abortion and Title X -
What health care providers need to know about federal funding for family planning services.
- The U.S. law that protects abortion providers and their patients from violence and threats of violence
The TRAP: Targeted Regulation of Abortion Providers - TRAP bills single out abortion providers for medically unnecessary, politically motivated state regulations.
Fact sheets elsewhere on prochoice.org:
Certified Nurse-Midwives, Nurse Practitioners, and Physician Assistants as Abortion Providers - The role of advanced practice clinicians in providing safe, legal abortion services
What Professional Organizations Are Saying about Clinicians and Choice - Support for the increased role of appropriately trained certified nurse-midwives, nurse practitioners, and physician assistants in abortion care.
> Download printable PDF versions of these Abortion Fact